Thursday, July 10, 2008

Remembering Dick Banks

The AT community has lost a treasure. Dick Banks passed away on July 8, 2008.

I wish I could write that I was Dick’s close personal friend, because I felt that way. But I have a suspicion that anyone who interacted with Dick more than a few times felt like his close personal friend. That is just how Dick treated people.

Dick was a highly regarded leader in the AT field when I started over fifteen years ago. And he remained so right through to the end. I am convinced that there are thousands and thousands of students who are much better served today because of his work. And he approached his work with passion and dedication.

Dick was a sweet and gentle man. He had a huge influence on the development of assistive technology. I am afraid we will never replace him and I know we will never forget him. As I write these closing words, I can hear Dick’s distinctive laugh. It is a memory I will always cherish.

God bless Dick and his family in this time of loss.

3 comments:

E.A. said...

His wonderful sense of humour, care and compassion stretched across the Atlantic and I know those of us who were lucky enough to meet Dick and listen to his talks and podcasts will miss him as well. Our thoughts are with you today at Oak Ridge, Menomonie. Best wishes E.A.

Shawn Foster said...

We've lost a great human being.It's been wonderful to see the many, many people that Dick's life has touched posting comments on his CarePage... it's good to know that his family will know how much we will miss him, too. I blogged my memorial as well, at http://atatsou.blogspot.com
Shawn Foster

Dan said...

Dick was a gentle lion in the AT world. Always helpful, always smiling, always upbeat, Dick not only made our world a better place, he also tirelessly helped countless others, both practitioners and end users. I and many others will miss his energy and humor.