Monday, November 24, 2008

Carl BrownCarl Brown
1946 - 2008

The AT professional family has lost one of its most esteemed members. Carl Brown, Director of the High Tech Center Training Unit (HTCTU), died November 21, 2008 in Northern California. One simply cannot overstate Carl’s importance to the field of assistive technology, especially in higher education. He steadfastly championed this cause for over 30 years.

I had the very good fortune of participating in his training program in the early 90s. Carl and his staff at the time, Wayne Chenoweth and Marcia Norris, produced trainings that remain the standard by which others are judged to this day.

Carl Brown had the greatest vision and the most resolute determination of anyone I have ever known in the AT field. For many it will be hard to understand this loss because Carl promoted ideas, programs and philosophies rather than himself. But make no mistake; absolutely no one has had greater influence on shaping and defining AT in higher education than Carl Brown.

One trick I quickly learned during those training days was that if you brought your lunch back to the HTCTU, the chances were good that you would end up having lunch with Carl and whoever else was around in the conference room. I have fond memories of those lunches. My very first in-depth class about the internet was done by Carl in 93 or 94. Not only was he enthusiastic about the internet in its then rather primitive state, but it was clear he could see the future and the great possibilities the internet held. Also in those days I “toured” the De Anza College campus in a virtual reality that Carl built. It was a completely text and command line environment, but you could enter rooms, explore objects and even travel across the campus. As I said, he was man of vision.

It has been years since I have spoken with Carl, but his influence remains in much of my daily work. This is truly a very sad loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

No comments: